Old 19-02-2009, 12:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default National Trust to provide allotments

On 19/2/09 12:04, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 11:50:22 +0000, Sacha wrote:

What a truly excellent idea! B&Q have said that for the second year
running, their sale of veg seeds has gone up. I think this time 27% was
mentioned.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/ear...st-to-give-lan
d-for-allotments.html

"He pointed out that the vast proportion of land in Britain is owned by one
per
cent of the population, meaning few ordinary people have access to land to
grow
their own fruit and vegetables."

iffy statistics, many houses have a garden big enough to do both. One doesn't
need acres. Most can't cope with 50 sq/metres, although units of 100sq/metres
are provided as standard in the gardening club my wife runs. She is
considering
offering units of 25sq/metres in future.

People constantly tell us they want to downsize their gardens. One chap
actually wrote asking us for ideas on making his large garden more
manageable. Prescient as I am ;-), I suggested that he might ask a younger
person to look after it in exchange for the opportunity to grow food and
flowers on it for his own family.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com