Old 19-02-2009, 02:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default National Trust to provide allotments

On 19/2/09 13:23, in article , "Spider"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message

snip

People constantly tell us they want to downsize their gardens. One chap
actually wrote asking us for ideas on making his large garden more
manageable. Prescient as I am ;-), I suggested that he might ask a
younger
person to look after it in exchange for the opportunity to grow food and
flowers on it for his own family.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

An elderly neighbour of mine was keen to do this with part of her garden,
and she asked my advice. I said that, in principle, it was a great idea but
that she would have to allow access to this gardener almost at will. The
local gardener she had in mind is a very close friend of mine who works.
This friend would need access to the garden before leaving for work, after
work or after cooking dinner; in other words, all sorts of odd hours. In
effect, the elderly neighbour would need to leave her side gate unlocked for
long periods or all day. This worried her, as it should. It worried me,
knowing that she had already succumbed to a bogus electricity caller (she
ran from the house screaming and the caller decamped). There were other
issues, too, as there are bound to be with this kind of arrangement. If
the proffered plot were a front or side garden, then it may work very well
because access is so much easier, but a back garden plot is fraught with
problems and dangers.

Spider

All good points. It would depend on where and how the plot is located and
how well they know the gardener person, too.