Old 19-02-2009, 05:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Bamboo river erosion control

On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 12:11:33 -0500, "Dan Listermann"
wrote:

We bought a camp on a small river in eastern Indiana. The bank recently
underwent a lot of erosion. Its eight foot walls are literally vertical at
the top. Obviously it is too late to do much about this, but I was thinking
that bamboo might work well to try to mitigate more erosion. We will be
fishing off the bank so the bamboo should not be too tall. I understand
that when you cut bamboo, it stops growing. We could let it start and just
trim anything that got in our way. The bank faces the south and gets a lot
of light. The soil is very sandy and appears rich.

Any thoughts?

Bamboo can be invasive, dwarf varieties and variegated types less so.
It can be very effective in erosion control. Keep in mind that you
may have bamboo control issues in the future. I've seen it growing
under asphalt, and it has broken water pipes, etc.

If the river bank is sunny, grass might work well. You may need to
cover it with a net with some mulch, compost, or straw to help keep it
from washing away until it gets started.