Old 19-02-2009, 07:26 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bill[_13_] Bill[_13_] is offline

Default Bamboo river erosion control

In article ,
"Dan Listermann" wrote:

Reading the article, temperature could be a problem.

"Bill" wrote in message
In article ,
"Dan Listermann" wrote:

We bought a camp on a small river in eastern Indiana. The bank recently
underwent a lot of erosion. Its eight foot walls are literally vertical
at
the top. Obviously it is too late to do much about this, but I was
thinking
that bamboo might work well to try to mitigate more erosion. We will be
fishing off the bank so the bamboo should not be too tall. I understand
that when you cut bamboo, it stops growing. We could let it start and
just
trim anything that got in our way. The bank faces the south and gets a
lot
of light. The soil is very sandy and appears rich.

Any thoughts?

I have bamboo growing about and would think it not the way to go.

Look at http://erosion-prevention.com/vetiver.html and check with
your county agent about introducing vetiver grass.

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Looks tough to me but your temps are unknown to me.

Frop the URL

"Vetiver maintains tolerance to extreme climatic variation
such as prolonged drought, flood, submergence and
extreme temperature from -14C to +55C (7 to 131F)
exceeds most grass, iceplant,red apple, bamboo and many
tree varieties."

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA