Old 19-02-2009, 09:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default propagating laurel

On Feb 19, 8:29*am, Charlie Pridham
wrote:
In article ,
says... Judith in France wrote:

I found that literally pulling off a small, newish growth about say 6
inches and plunging it straight into the ground for about 4 of those
inches works for me. *The best time, I found, to do that was in
October.

I'd heard it was that easy, which is why I'm a bit disappointed at my
lack of success. That's really all you do? Do you take off all the
leaves or leave some on? Cut careful angles top and bottom? Mutter
incantations?

brian mitchell

Well Cherry laural is easy but having light soil probably helps! So
prepare the trench where you want the hedge, cut your stems of laural
chosing vigorous annual growth, trim off the tips and a lot of lower
leaves and place around two thirds into the ground refill the trench and
make sure the whole thing does not dry out this summer, I would also do a
few spares elsewhere in case you have gaps
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwallwww.roselandhouse.co.uk
Lapageria rosea

Charlie, I agree with everything you say. However, for me, I just
tear off, plunge deep and 100% success. Maybe Brian should try both
our methods?

Judith