Old 20-02-2009, 09:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default National Trust to provide allotments

On 19/2/09 22:53, in article , "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote ,
"Mike" wrote:
"Bob Hobden" wrote:

One thing I have noticed is that the new gardeners don't seem to
understand
the importance of manure (and lots of it), I don't know if they use lots
of
fertilizer instead but if not then they are storing up trouble in the
shape
of decreasing yields and mucking up the soil for future gardeners.

the chap who runs it has that sorted, he get truck loads in from the
stables opposite and everybody uses it to cover the weed growth in
winter.

Yes. Well. Bob and the others will certainly advise you better than I
can
but contaminated manure has caused a LOT of problems for veg growers. Ask
your supplier and the stable owner if their horses have grazed on land
treated by the weed killer that doesn't affect the animals but certainly
affects the manure.

A simple test of growing a couple on young tomato plant in some is all that
is needed. They are very sensitive to the chemical.

Now that really is a handy tip for those beginning to grow their own food.
And how's that Furcraea, Bob? ;-))
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com