Old 20-02-2009, 11:42 AM posted to rec.gardens
Pat Kiewicz[_2_] Pat Kiewicz[_2_] is offline

Default Baby Bok Choy

said:

On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 06:56:16 -0500, Pat Kiewicz

wrote:
Not a similar climate, but I only grow this as a fall crop. And I never
grow it sown directly in the ground, but always start it as transplants.
I set the plants into a 4x8 foot bed no closer than 10" in each

direction.

Why start as transplants only? Due to your weather, or ...?

Transplants are just far more successful. The seeds sprout in optimal
conditions (no competition from weeds and no pests). I've actually
compared direct seeding to seeding in pots at the same time. For
anything in the cabbage family, transplanting works better.

No, they will form substantial plants, though smaller than bok choy,
with flatter, greener stems and more oval leaves. As in this pictu

http://preview.tinyurl.com/bgfvy2

How gorgeous!

Last fall I grew a red-leafed bok choy, which was truly lovely...thick
pale green stems and burgundy leaves.

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/images/ca...t/2736_MED.jpg

Baby bok choy I might steam whole leaves and small heads and serve
with oyster sauce.

I usually slice the stems of bok choy for stir-fry and add the chopped
greens to the dish at the last minute, or use the green parts in soup.

GREAT IDEA! I'm always forgetting that the stems take more
cook time.

Thanks for all help.

Very happy to oblige.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"So, it was all a dream."
"No dear, this is the dream, you're still in the cell."

email valid but not regularly monitored