Old 20-02-2009, 05:35 PM posted to rec.gardens
Dan Listermann Dan Listermann is offline

Default Bamboo river erosion control

"brooklyn1" wrote in message

"Dan Listermann" wrote in message

"brooklyn1" wrote in message
You cannot repair that yourself, in fact under riparian law you'll
probably need permission to touch it, so don't go digging holes to put
in plants. Before doing anything I suggest you contact the appropriate
government agencies; begin by speaking with your town clerk about which
agencies you might contact... begin at the local level and work up from
the town to county to state to federal.

Didn't you notice that river when you purchased your property (how could
you not - all you saw was a pretty lazy river -changing weather
conditions and liability never occured to you), didn't you check into
who is responsible for maintaining the river banks, and whether you're
in a flood plain.. you should have received such info at closing under
full disclosure law... you may need to engage an attorney and sue the
realtor/seller, if so do NOT choose a local attorney. I have no idea
what your property is about, like elevation, acreage, and how much
frontage is on that river, but it sure sounds like you are probably in
very deep doodoo. Speak to your neighbors who also front that river, on
a river that size you can't be the only one with erosion. If this
erosion is from an isolated major weather event there may already be a
government relief program underway, if so find out where to get and
submit the forms to put yourself on record as applying for help. I
suggest you move quickly. And start taking lots of photos (hopefully you
have photos of the area prior to the erosion), and keep a daily log of
weather conditions, take pictures every time it rains and/or there's
high water. The one thing you have going for you is with a river of
that magnetude you're not the only one who's affected by the erosion. I
went through all the above but found no help because the town was only
responsible for the 50 feet either side of the road center the stream
passes under via culvert, and I was the only one affected. So rather
than waste time and energy banging my head against the proverbial brick
wall of government I decided to pay for the repair myself... and I
wasn't about to wait for the damage to become worse.

You may find something helpful here, perhaps if you caontact them they
can give guidance: http://www.erosioncontrol.com/

The yard behind the the bank is quite long so there is no emergency. I
was fully aware of the issue. We could lose 100' before the septic
system is a problem. There is a shelter near the edge that I would
rather not move, but in some ways, moving it would be a lot cheaper and
easier than screwing with the bank.

You seem not to need any advice, seems you knew all the answers before you
posted. I was becoming concerned for you, thank you for clearing that up.

Sorry, I did not mean to give you that sort of impression. You seemed to
have some strong concerns that were not really high on my list.