Old 20-02-2009, 06:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Aphids on Venus Fly Trap

"Dave" wrote in message
. uk...
I'm having an aphid problem with my VFT. It was near my tomato plants
during the summer & the aphids seem to have infested it.
I have rinsed it under a tap which got rid of the visible ones but they
soon came back. Then I rinsed it under the tap AND changed the pot & soil
but they're back again. The plant is on it's own so they're not coming off
something else.
I'm wary of using a soapy solution in case it has an adverse affect on the
plant.

I'm not very experienced with VFTs - it's years since I had one - but in
your position I would try to brush off the aphids with a paint brush
(artist's sort) every day.
The secret is to stop them breeding as I'm sure you are aware and boy, do
they breed! Hopefully by removing them daily, or twice daily if you have
time might break the cycle.
It's just a suggestion. I don't know if it will work but as it costs nothing
and is unlikely to harm the plant it must be worth a try.

Tina