Old 20-02-2009, 09:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Fuschia[_2_] Fuschia[_2_] is offline

Default Maintaining automatic vent openers

On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 21:12:48 +0000, beccabunga
wrote:

drmrbrewer;830831 Wrote:
We've inherited a very nice greenhouse from the previous owners of our
house, fitted out a few years back to a pretty high standard. However,
the automatic vent openers no longer seem to operate as they should,
mostly stuck closed.

I can't find any information as to how to maintain these, and whether I
just need a replacement black piston thingy (and if so, what I do to
replace it), or whether I need to replace the whole mechanism including
the arms etc, or whether in fact it is possible that some simple
adjustment would do the trick. How long do these things normally
last?

Thanks,

Mike

A little spray of WD40 should do the trick.

You need to put it on the vent hinges too, because they often get
gunged up and stiff.