Old 21-02-2009, 03:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
aquachimp aquachimp is offline

Default Garden design software

On Feb 21, 2:07*pm, (Brian) wrote:
We're thinking of a major redesign of our back garden. We started looking
for a design(CAD) package. There seem to be a lot out there in webland,
but none of them seem to get rave reviews. What have you tried? Did it do
what you wanted? and lastly, would you recommend it to a fellow usenet
newsgrouper?

Cheers!

http://www.tmac.clara.co.uk/urgring/faqsoftw.htm
Don't know if it's up to date though.

Amongst the comments given, I'd add that the measurementation can't be
trusted.
My old one, which fested my computer with nothing but problems, was
the sierra (pro) and no, I would wish it on you.

Along with the question as to whether one really needs such software,
I would like to know from you why you do? What are you expecting other
than the relative pleasure of mucking about with it?
It won't measure the garden for you.
It may give tree growth dimensions in say, 10 years time, but these
probably wont take root development into account (nor soil/water
shortage/excess)
It wont actually inspire you and may even limit your potential to the
rather limited variations it'll have for say, walls, fences, arches
etc..
In short, it wont really design squat for you. You'll have to do that.
You'll have to scribble down measurements. Get ideas read up on stuff.
Walk the plot. Think.
It wont do your thinking.

HTH