Old 22-02-2009, 03:23 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Bonnie NJ Bonnie NJ is offline

Default HELP!

What did the tail look like? Muskrat's have smooth hairless tails. If it

is
a little one I'd fish it out with a net, if possible, dump in a pet carri

er
and off to the river we would go. They eat almost anything in the pond fr

om
plants to fish. Here's a good website w/pictures:http://www.nhptv.org/Nat

ureWorks/muskrat.htm

Are you close to a body of water or canal? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds:www.jjspond.us

There is a small river less than a mile behind our house. I thought
this time of year the animals wouldn't travel.

I didn't see the tail. The water level hasn't gone down but the pond
looks like coffee with cream, all muddy. Last week it was clear and
you could see the fish, now you can't see anything. We kept a close
watch yesterday but didn't see the animal. I think it is digging in
all the pots. Much of the ice has thawed overnight and I will
continue to watch. At this point it's all I can do.