Old 22-02-2009, 09:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Emrys Davies Emrys Davies is offline

Default Celery advice

"a l l y" wrote in message
Hello from a newbie in Cumbria! We live up on the NW coast overlooking

the
Solway Firth. Wonderful place to live but we get a lot of high winds

and
rain at times. Not as cold as inland Cumbria, though - we were the

only bit
that got practically no snow during the latest episode of ahem!
Interesting Weather.

Anway. I love celery, but I also love the leaves, which I use as a

herb.
Most shops cut the leaves off, which is incredibly irritating, so I'm
wondering how hard it is to grow it in our veg garden. We already grow
tatties, beans, peas, lettuce, leeks, onions and other straightforward

sorts
of things. I'm not bothered about blanching the stems - in fact, I'd

rather
have them green - but someone told me celery needs to be kept very wet

and
might be hard to grow in a plot which can, at times, be soggy, but at

other
times can be parched. Could it be grown in tubs?

TIA!

ally

It's all here ally http://tinyurl.com/aay2ar What a good site. I wish
you well.