Old 11-04-2003, 11:56 PM
Hussein M.

Default Bamboo question

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003 10:49:42 +0000 (UTC), "Paul Kelly"
wrote:

"Smeckler" wrote in message
Hello all,

I planted some bamboos several weeks ago which all seem fairly happy.
I'm hoping someone with experience can tell me how they might grow over
the next few years, i.e. in terms of size and culm count, 'cos I don't
really know what to expect.

I have P. nigra (isn't nice how nature allows you to deftly avoid having
to try to spell things which is 6' tall, 1' across, in a moist and
moderately sunny spot.

Once it settles in it will send up new growths in a clump around the exg
canes. Is not invasive.

Best to follow the Japanese practice and cut out all but a few canes to
a)promote fatter canes b)create an attractive grouping rather than mass of
intermingled canes.

I have Phyllostachys nigra in a corner by the front gate (full
sun). It emerges from a clump of about two feet square and it now
stands at 15 feet wafting gracefully in the slightest breeze. It is
certainly not a mass of intermingled canes and only sends out one or
two marauding ground level shoots a year which are easily nipped. The
habit may be due to plentiful sun and shade may have made it more
unruly.

I have another bamboo but have mislaid it's origin and name. It too
is very well behaved though luxuriant with it's burgeoning leafy
cascade. I can see that. I dimly remember it as being described thus
when it was procured (being fully aware of the naughty habits of some
bamboos). It has not reached its full size though,

I can imagine some bamboos needing a bit of the Jap strong arm
treatment - but not P. nigra or indeed my other one where, in the
lower reaches, the canes are now hidden by the leafy cascade.

Hussein
Grow a little garden

spam block - for real addy, reverse letters of second level domain.