Old 23-02-2009, 03:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Question on ashes

Janet Tweedy writes

You should not have that much ash, a wood burner needs to burn on a bed
of
ash - I only empty a bit of mine out once a week.

I never burn on a bed of ash and I have a multi fuel Hunter stove. It
wouldn't get enough draught beneath the wood to burn properly. Only
needs a bed of ash for coal. I burn all the time and would always
riddle the ash away before reloading in the morning .

That's interesting, because our stove came with a grate to use with
coal, and instructions to remove the grate and use a bed of ash for wood
- entirely the opposite way around.

On ours, you only use the low down vents for lighting the stove (I
usually poke a hole through the ash). Once lit, you use a vent high up
on the stove, so the incoming air gets heated and is directed down over
the glass before reaching the fire - result is a very hot-burning stove
with a glass door that stays clean.

We use ours for the evening, and clear ash once a week.
--
Kay