Old 23-02-2009, 05:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jim Jackson Jim Jackson is offline

Default Black Currant Pruning.

Rusty_Hinge wrote:
The message
from Jonathan contains these words:

For four of us two bushes produced a glut every year using this
method.

Then I'd advocate making cordial and/or wine...

Black currant syrup is easy to make and very popular with our grandkids. I
use less sugar than most syrup recipes suggest - about 8 oz sugar (instead
of the usual 12oz) per pint of strained liquid. But I'm make sure the
bottles are very clean and hot, when filling with the hot syrup - and
sealing the top straight away.

My 6 20 year old blackcurrant bushes provide between 40 and 50 lbs of
fruit, which keeps us (and friends who pick in return for fruit) in syrup,
jam, bottled fruit etc for the whole year.