Old 23-02-2009, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sheila Sheila is offline

Default Agapanthus seedees.....

" Hi Sheila,

I don't know what your first seedling is, but it certainly isn't
agapanthus!

Agapanthus are monocots (only one 'seed' leaf), and put up a single
grass-like leaf; as you say, a miniature of the leaf. If it looks like a
curved leaf, that may be because it's trying to grow to the light. I turn
mine around most days. My seedlings have a pale green (almost white)
basal sheath, from which subsequent leaves shoot. However, in some
seedlings, this sheath is just below soil level so new leaves appear to
come from the soil, but *right next* to the monocot leaf. Also, a few of
the secondary leaves come through doubled up, in a simple loop, then
straighten out as they grow. This seems to be due to the persistence of
the seed coat. However, as much as I would like to remove it, it is so
stubborn that I leave it to its own devices lest I bruise the leaves.

A few of my seedlings are putting up their third (very tiny so far) leaf.
I'm not boasting, of course, :~))), I'm just deeply chuffed and
encouraged!

Spider

Thanks for the very informative reply, phew, glad to hear that! I have now
moved them round, I can see the loop in mine now, and the white sheath, the
things you learn! Glad to hear yours are coming on so well. I wonder what
colour they will be when they at long last produce their own flowers! Isn't
nature wonderful!