Old 24-02-2009, 08:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Swivel blade bow saw query.

In article ,
Sacha wrote:
On 23/2/09 15:50, in article , "K"
wrote:

I've been very glad of my latin in understanding unfamiliar words even
in English, though it's obviously even more use for Italian, Spanish and
Portuguese.

otoh, higher level maths is really useful for modern greek ;-)

Ugh - maths! I'll take your word for that. I really, really wish I had
your brain for maths - numbers terrify me thanks to bad teaching and a
bullying teacher.

Only the most elementary mathematics involves much handling of numbers.
However, nobody gets far in advanced mathematics (by which I do NOT
mean A-level) without being a born mathematician. I had a run in with
a particular disability trainer, who claimed that mathematics was a
simple, trainable skill that anyone could learn if they put the effort
in. The word "hogwash" springs to mind - I have spent enough of my
time teaching fairly elementary mathematics to people without any
mathematical background to know just how hard the concepts can be for
people who don't naturally think that way.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.