Old 24-02-2009, 02:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default Toads

On 23/2/09 18:26, in article , "David
"Jamey" James" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
The fishponds are absolutely heaving with frogs and there's a lot of spawn
laid already. I haven't seen any toadspawn yet. How about anyone else?

Toadspawn (and I don't mean the labour govt!) generally comes a couple
of weeks after that of the frogs.

If you've fish in the pond then you will need to "fish" the toad spawn
out because it's poisonous.

Toadspawn is recognisable for being in a longthread. And it's
a burden to get out because the knot of toads go round
and round every plant in their extended orgy.

I'm having a bit of trouble with the idea that toad spawn is poisonous. We
have dozens of fish in two of the ponds and one of them has been in situ -
toads and all - for fifty-odd years. The fish don't seem to come to any
harm at all, so I'm a bit puzzled by that one.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com