Old 24-02-2009, 05:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default Question on ashes

On 24/2/09 16:52, in article , "Kate
Brown" wrote:

snip

The wood not burning at first may be partly because it has been stored
in a rather damp cave (ground level, but carved out of the limestone).
We built a new store last summer in the open air and hope the wood will
be drier this year. But how do you all keep a fire just smouldering so
it keeps in for a few hours?

We have open fires here but burn mainly logs that have been stored the year
before they're needed. And we add a little coal to the logs if we're going
to be sitting in front of the fire for several hours. The coal keeps the
fire in much longer and it's sometimes still got 'hot spots' next morning.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com