Old 25-02-2009, 08:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Best Approach for Replacing an Old Tree

Sacha wrote:
On 24/2/09 17:00, in article , "Emery
Davis" wrote:

Sacha wrote:

snip
And the other lovely tree
we've planted a few of lately is the Betula jacquemontii - they're such
graceful and elegant trees, IMO.

They are indeed. Mine was planted 2 seasons ago and has done very
poorly I'm afraid. It died back considerably in the late frosts last
year, and looks more than a little sad. Do you know if there's anything
in particular I should do to perk it up?

cheers,

-E

I asked Ray about this and he was surprised that it *was* affected by frost,
considering its origins. I know you're a bit of a tree expert but could
there possibly be some other cause?

Ha, you are too kind (and misinformed!) I know something about one
genus of tree, but about birches I'm pretty ignorant.

Could well be something else. It was planted in the place where a
Dragon's Claw Willow had been. The willow suffered from a lot of
die-back, as they will, so I moved it to a much swampier area; but it
was well dug out with a mini JCB.

The birch did flood quite a bit it's first winter as it was very wet.
Then along with many other plants it was fully leafed out when in early
March we had snow and hard freezing. That's when it died back, along
with many other trees here. I had planted a rare A. longipes ssp
catalpifolium as a FS that fall, it froze back to the ground. (That one
is known to be a bit tender, mind you.)

-E