Old 25-02-2009, 11:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Starting in pots

On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 19:25:57 -0800, wrote:

For the first time in 'n' years of gardening in So. Calif coastal,
I am starting veg seed in those little degradable pots.

Have always planted straight in the ground, as we generally have mild
weather and can grow seasonal crops all year. But became curious
about the starter pot method, especially as the weather is not as
steady as before (YOU know why).

So, as an experiment, I decided to plant half of the [whatever] seeds
in commercial planting mix, and half in my own compost+ pearlite --
all in degradable pots. (I almost said "potties" because they're so
tiny g.)

What are the ups & downs of transplanting vs. planting
right in the ground? Maybe someone has stats? Particularly
for this Mediterranean-ish climate?

Should have some sprouting results to report in a few weeks.

Persephone

Usually, better off planting straight into the ground--no transplant
shock, less damping off, larger fuller plant, more fruit. Some plants
transplant much better than others.

Last year I started some basil plants in 4" clay pots. They grew to
about 2 feet tall. The ones sowed directly in the garden grew 4 feet
tall and much larger, stronger, and more aromatic plants.

Experimentation is always a good idea. I often use coleus for
experiments because they grow so fast and react adversely to
environment changes.