Old 26-02-2009, 09:52 AM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by catkin View Post
I'm thinking of buying one (for my Somerset neutral clayey soil) but keep
finding conflicting advice. Everyone seems to agree on a black one but some
sources say that it can't be pruned and must have space to grow into a huge
tree whilst others say "best kept as a small bush" and one magazine (Grow
your own) recommended it for a pot. Does anyone have one? The one I've been
looking at is a St James (may be St Johns). All advice most welcome
Hayley
Mulberry can be pruned, you do it midwinter so that the latex doesn't bleed. In places like Greece, where they are grown as street trees, they are routinely pollarded to keep them as a fixed size, typically about 8 feet or so. However I suspect you may lose the fruit if you do this, though I'm not sure. Perhaps the Greeks don't want the fruit dropping on the floor, they like the big leaves to create shape. I trim mine most years to keep it manageable, and the fruit within reach. I'm guessing that if you want to get much of yield of fruit off it, you'll need to let it get to a reasonable size, as it doesn't fruit with the density of a plum or blackcurrant. But I've not seen one grown as a bush or in a pot. But if the people who are recommending this are credible, and are talking about the same plant as you (there is some confusion over names), then perhaps they are right.