Old 26-02-2009, 11:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cutting the dross

In article ,
BAC wrote:

Mabbett had trouble getting along with many many more people on Usenet than
just Mike Crowe, and there is no denying that many people, rightly or
wrongly, regarded him as the worst and most infuriating sort of netnanny
troll. ...

Not quite. He was mildly irritating, but he did NOT go in for what he
was claimed to do - I checked. What happened was that some particularly
nasty trolls started picking on him, and that snowballed - in the same
way that beating up cripples used to be a common sport.

I can't say whether he triggered the attacks in the first place, as
I did not check back far enough, but he was certainly neither trolling
nor being a netnanny by the time I noticed the systematic persecution.

Imagine what people have been saying here about Mike Crowe, magnify
it a thousandfold, and you should have some idea of the difficulties he
encountered, mainly on other newsgroups. However, that all now seems to be
in the past, fortunately. Life's too short for cyber vendettas, nobody
'wins', preferable to make the best of things, if you ask me :-)

That gives only a pale impression of what he was inflicted with. The
libels were sufficiently nasty that they would have justified the
police taking action - but he (probably wisely) chose not to take that
path.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.