Old 26-02-2009, 02:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty_Hinge[_2_] Rusty_Hinge[_2_] is offline

Default mares/horse tail

The message
from Ted contains these words:

Just taken over an allotment thats is completely choked with the weed...

Horsetail - mare's tail is a water plant.

My idea is to plant in raised beds which I will dig out to about a
foot deep then put some weed suppressant down then backfill with the riddled
soil that I have dug out...Anyone tell me if this weed suppressant fabric
will keep the mares tail at bay or does it have the power to grow through

Never tried it. I just bruised the things between my palms with a
rubbing action as they appeared and gave them a strong dose of
glyphosate mixed with lots of Fairy Liquid. (That's the horsetail, not
the palms...)

OK, it took a couple of years, but they died eventually.

Remember, the roots can go down eight feet or so, so it won't be easy to
eradicate. I have a feeling that your raised beds would work for a few
years, but they'd infiltrate it sooner or later, if not by growing
through, then by growing round.

--
Rusty