Old 26-02-2009, 04:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default mares/horse tail

"Ted" wrote ...

Just taken over an allotment thats is completely choked with the weed...
My idea is to plant in raised beds which I will dig out to about a foot
deep then put some weed suppressant down then backfill with the riddled
soil that I have dug out...Anyone tell me if this weed suppressant fabric
will keep the mares tail at bay or does it have the power to grow through

Couple of things Ted.

Your allotments must be so big and cheap if you can waste so much land with
paths. :-)
Weed suppressant will not keep Marestail at bay, it will grow through. It
does through tarmac.

We had Marestail on our last allotment and whilst we never eradicated it
constant hoeing did weakened it drastically so it became less of a problem
year on year. It's only unsightly anyway, so unless you intend to go in for
the local "in bloom" competition I would learn to live with it.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden