Old 26-02-2009, 10:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default scent

Gerrit wrote:
And maybe I should explain: I do not have a garden, as I live in a
three up appartment. I do have lots of potted plants though, and I
buy cut flowers too. Right now a few hyacinths are in full bloom on
my window sill, and I love the scent.
BUT:
Is scent as such ever used as a selection-criterion by the
professional propagators / cultuvators to 'create' any new variety?:
"Yeah Ma'am, I know this rose, well it looks kind of plain, but now
just smell it. Now ain't that gorgeous?"

Yes there are cultivars that have been selected on this basis. We have
roses that we chose for both looks and perfume where we could have had more
showy looks but no perfume.

David