Old 27-02-2009, 03:26 AM posted to rec.gardens
JimR JimR is offline

Default Drip Irrigation

"MajorOz" wrote in message
Last year, I tried an experiment.
Around the top rails in my deck, I installed plastic rain gutters on
the outside, filled them with potting soil and grew herbs, small
veggies -- lettuce, mini-maters, etc -- and little clumps of colorful
annuals. It worked out nicely and was decorative, convenient and
productive. The downside was it needed to be watered almost
continuously, as the "bed" had.......well, the cross-section of a rain
gutter. If I was away for more than two or three dry days, the beds
got really DRY.
This year, I plan to do two things: 1)Expand the deck, itself, and 2)
Expand the gutter-beds onto the lower rails and (maybe) the outer
edges of the deck itself (it is raised from three to five ft. off the
ground).

It all hinges on whether I can figger out some auto watering scheme.
I am looking at drip, with lines installed at the bottom of the
gutters, rather than resting on the surface, working off a timer.

There is a laser-drilled 1/4" hose -- same size as feeds the microjets, that
you can lay in the trough, then just set up a timer for the amount you need.
I find it in the same place as the other microjet supplies at big box
stores --