Old 27-02-2009, 04:14 AM posted to rec.gardens
Garrapata Garrapata is offline

Default scent

Gerrit wrote:
Hi all

I have been wondering about this:
are there any plants or flowers that are grown not for their looks, but
for their scent?
( Imagine 'Cytisus scoparius + broom as a long-flowering potted plant )

Greetings

Definately! Hyacinths are my favorite. I planted over 100 new ones
last fall and they are just starting to poke their heads up. They will
be booming in another few weeks.

I also grow a lot of Lilies but some neighbors say that they don't like
their smell. I like the smell of Stargazer and the flowers are really
beautiful.

Some my other fragrant favorites are Lavender, Peonies, and Carnations.

These are all fragrant but they are also pretty and would be grown even
if they didn't smell good.
There are others that are just grown for their fragrance.
Mignonette - Reseda odorata - is one that I can remember but there must
be others.

--

09=ix