Old 27-02-2009, 06:05 AM posted to rec.gardens
Charles[_1_] Charles[_1_] is offline

Default scent

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 23:24:54 +0100, "Gerrit"
wrote:

"Bill R" wrote in message
Gerrit wrote:
Hi all

I have been wondering about this:
are there any plants or flowers that are grown not for their looks, but
for their scent?
( Imagine 'Cytisus scoparius + broom as a long-flowering potted plant )

Greetings

Definitely! Hyacinths are my favorite. I planted over 100 new ones last
fall and they are just starting to poke their heads up. They will be
booming in another few weeks.

What a speedy reaction....!

And maybe I should explain: I do not have a garden, as I live in a three up
appartment. I do have lots of potted plants though, and I buy cut flowers
too. Right now a few hyacinths are in full bloom on my window sill, and I
love the scent.
BUT:
Is scent as such ever used as a selection-criterion by the professional
propagators / cultuvators to 'create' any new variety?: "Yeah Ma'am, I know
this rose, well it looks kind of plain, but now just smell it. Now ain't
that gorgeous?"

I also grow a lot of Lilies but some neighbors say that they don't like
their smell. I like the smell of Stargazer and the flowers are really
beautiful.

Some my other fragrant favorites are Lavender, Peonies, and Carnations.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Digital Camera - Pentax *ist DL

I believe tuberoses are chosen for scent more than appearance.
Various jasmines would be some more