Old 27-02-2009, 04:23 PM
OwenD OwenD is offline
Registered User

Location: Surrey
Default Advice for a newbie

Hi There,

My first post so be gentle with me..

I live in Surrey, near an area called Claygate and as such with quite a clay soil. Last year I moved to a new house with lots of space so threw a few seeds down and had good results with

courgettes
runner beans
parsnips
carrotts

the only crop that remains for me to pick are my Leeks which have been growing since April last year and I am hoping I can pick this spring..

this year I plan to branch out further to broad beans, sweetcorn and more of the above

my question is re. compose and manure. All advice I can see for most of the veg I want to grow suggests mixing manure into the soil. I have already used bags of compost to fill trenches I have dug in order to plant the crops I have listed above, but am wondering if I am missing a trick by not using actual manure....or will compost do?

To be honest I am not mad keen on the idea of laying horse poo in the garden and think the missus might not approve either!

Any advice welcome..

Thanks,

Owen