Old 27-02-2009, 05:38 PM
Pen Pen is offline
Registered User

Question Water condition

Hi, brand new here so just hoping that I can get back here to see if any of you guys can asnswer my question ( fingers crossed ) I'm in the UK, got a pretty big pond that has somehow had brilliant water condition without any work or mechanical help, for 15 years. However . . . for the last 2 years we have been fighting the battle with single cell algea ( pea soup water ) We have the biggest aireator we could buy, the biggest clover leaf filter and 110w UV light plus a series of three gravel beds ( yet to be planted) the water cleared amazingly, then it cot very cold and we could even see to the bottom of the 3m deep part. The last 3 days the temperature has gone up a little and the pond water has a chalky appearance, its murky, and protein scum coming again. There's a sort of film on the surface thats got to be more than just the feather deposits of the 2 mallards that come each morning. Sorry this is so long, but we've noticed that its always clearer when the weather is colder. Does anyone know why ? and can anyone throw any light on why we now have this oily ish film We aren't using anything that has oil.
Hoping some of you can help
Pen