Old 27-02-2009, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default mulberry

Tahiri writes
Sorry, I don't remember what variety it is, but now it has got going it
is very productive. Ignore the books that tell you to collect the fruit
by placing a sheet under the tree and shaking it. The fruit does not
all ripen at once and in my experience ripeness is no guideline to
which ones will fall off as you are trying to pick from the branch next
door!

My experience is similar. The two processes, of ripening and falling,
seem to be completely unrelated! Unripe fruit will fall, ripe fruit is
capable of hanging on till it rots.

As far as harvesting is concerned, I have a carpet of fine grass and
moss under my tree, and I simply crawl round every day with a couple of
basins, putting good fruit in one and unripe/rotten fruit in the other
(to put on the compost heap). A bit tedious, but worth it for the boxes
and boxes of rich luscious fruit currently in my deep freeze.

I don't prune to keep it down to size (after 15 years it's still no more
than a small tree), but I have been taking out the lower branches to
raise the crown a bit - pertly to make mowing easier, partly because
it's a lot easier to see the fruit from underneath if you're in the
garden and want to browse.

--
Kay