Old 27-02-2009, 10:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Angela[_3_] Angela[_3_] is offline

Default Removing large tree

"Chris" ] wrote in message
]...
| Please advise on how best to remove a large wild cherry tree.
| The trunk is about two foot diameter.
| Could I do it myself?
| How much would a contractor charge?
| Would he need to be insured?
| (If so, Why? I don't understand this insurance business!)
| How could the stump be got rid of?
| --
| Chris

I had 3 trees removed, though not as big as yours (about 12 inch trunks) and
it cost £275. Yes he does need to be insured because if he injured himself
or damaged anything you may end up paying. And they should have all the
proper gear like helmets, kevlar trousers, and all the harnesses and ropes
to climb the tree. Also you need to be careful that you don't live in a
conservation area or the tree has a TPO, in both cases you have to apply for
planning permission even to prune let alone fell a tree. If you live in a
modern house don't be fooled into thinking you wont live in a conservation
area, my house is fairly new and I do.

I suggest you contact the council before you do anything, cut down a tree
with a TPO on and you could face a £20,000 if you get it wrong