Old 28-02-2009, 08:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Angela[_3_] Angela[_3_] is offline

Default Removing large tree

"Malcolm" wrote in message
| Angela wrote:
| "Chris" ] wrote in message
| ]...
| | Please advise on how best to remove a large wild cherry tree.
| | The trunk is about two foot diameter.
| | Could I do it myself?
| | How much would a contractor charge?
| | Would he need to be insured?
| | (If so, Why? I don't understand this insurance business!)
| | How could the stump be got rid of?
| | --
| | Chris
|
| I had 3 trees removed, though not as big as yours (about 12 inch trunks)
and
| it cost £275. Yes he does need to be insured because if he injured
himself
| or damaged anything you may end up paying. And they should have all the
| proper gear like helmets, kevlar trousers, and all the harnesses and
ropes
| to climb the tree. Also you need to be careful that you don't live in a
| conservation area or the tree has a TPO, in both cases you have to apply
for
| planning permission even to prune let alone fell a tree. If you live in
| modern house don't be fooled into thinking you wont live in a
conservation
| area, my house is fairly new and I do.
|
| I suggest you contact the council before you do anything, cut down a
tree
| with a TPO on and you could face a £20,000 if you get it wrong
|

| But if you ask they may slap a TPO on it!
|
| Malcolm

They certainly could, but rest assured if a tree has a TPO on it at least
one of your neighbours will know and will be on the phone to the council the
second a chain saw is started, and you could face a hefty fine. I would
much rather take the risk that a TPO would be slapped on it than face a
£20,000 fine. When they started felling my trees an aggressive neighbour
came out and said that they were protected trees, fortunately I was able to
show him all the paperwork from the council, if I hadn't I am sure he would
have been on the phone in a flash! Anyway a tree surgeon will want to know
because he can also get an £11,000 fine for doing the work!