Old 28-02-2009, 09:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Removing large tree

In article ,
Angela wrote:

They certainly could, but rest assured if a tree has a TPO on it at least
one of your neighbours will know and will be on the phone to the council the
second a chain saw is started, and you could face a hefty fine. I would
much rather take the risk that a TPO would be slapped on it than face a
£20,000 fine. When they started felling my trees an aggressive neighbour
came out and said that they were protected trees, fortunately I was able to
show him all the paperwork from the council, if I hadn't I am sure he would
have been on the phone in a flash! Anyway a tree surgeon will want to know
because he can also get an £11,000 fine for doing the work!

However, if you look at the law, a tree with a TPO can be removed without
further ado if it is likely to endanger life or property. It would be
sensible to get evidence of that fact, and check that it is adequate to
get exemption under the exact wording of the law, in order to tell such
people to get lost with immunity from legal comeback.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.