Old 28-02-2009, 01:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default Use of English.

On 28/2/09 12:24, in article , "Spider"
wrote:

wrote in message
Today, I said "After a winter like this one, it's sensible not to buy
a plant from a garden centre until it has started sprooting, so you
can tell the live ones from the dead ones."

Ah, well. You know what I mean ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Sounds all right to me. In fact, I think you may have started something ...
only imagine how much clearer it would be if one could say "I've got some
sproots coming through on my sprout plants". It distinguishes the vistigial
growth from the chomping opportunity :~).

Anyway, I'm off to check for sproots in the garden. Catch you all later.

Spider

I like 'sproot', I must say. It conveys little baby sprootlings quite
perfectly.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com