Old 28-02-2009, 01:39 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default Water condition

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 18:28:03 EST, Pen
wrote:

Hi, brand new here so just hoping that I can get back here to see if
any of you guys can asnswer my question ( fingers crossed ) I'm
in the UK, got a pretty big pond that has somehow had brilliant water
condition without any work or mechanical help, for 15 years. However .
. . for the last 2 years we have been fighting the battle with
single cell algea ( pea soup water ) We have the biggest aireator we
could buy, the biggest clover leaf filter and 110w UV light plus a
series of three gravel beds ( yet to be planted) the water cleared
amazingly, then it cot very cold and we could even see to the bottom of
the 3m deep part. The last 3 days the temperature has gone up a little
and the pond water has a chalky appearance, its murky, and protein
scum coming again. There's a sort of film on the surface thats got to
be more than just the feather deposits of the 2 mallards that come each
morning. Sorry this is so long, but we've noticed that its always
clearer when the weather is colder. Does anyone know why ? and can
anyone throw any light on why we now have this oily ish film We
aren't using anything that has oil.
Hoping some of you can help
Pen

Ducks are your problem, they're feeding the algae and leaving the oil,
that's what keeps them dry, they secrete a lot of oil. Pea Soup Algae needs
a little warm up in temps, sun/light and food, duck poo will doo. ;-) Do
you do water change outs? How many fish? ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us