Old 28-02-2009, 10:30 PM
Jolyn Jolyn is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy[_7_] View Post
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Potential creosote issue. A human carcinogen. Get an on site
opinion.

Agreed, you need some real data not a guess.

And you, David, need a basis for your presumption that Bill was making a
guess.

The thing is, David, as a relative newbie to this group, you may be
unaware that this subject has been done, over and over again, in the
past and it always boils down to "its' a bad idea" to use railroad ties,
telephone posts, or pressure treated lumber in conjunction with edible
gardens.

http://herbgardens.about.com/od/gard...HerbSafety.htm

or you could look at a material safety data sheet (MSDS) from a
company that produces creosote (presumably they would want to put the
best face on it):
http://www.thompsonindustries.net/KM...osote_MSDS.pdf

In the future, David, you may want to ask for citations, if you are so
dull as to not be able to "google" it yourself, but you may want to
think twice before you accuse a poster of guessing.
--

Billy
Democrat and Republican Leaders Behind Bars

Thanks to all of you for your views. I'm sorry if there was somehere else on this forum that I could have found the info required, but having looked I couldn't find what I really needed.

Just to clarify my new raised beds are NOT made out of sleepers and had I had the option right from the start would never have used such in a garden, but I purchased the house with these things already laid. I unfortunately placed wooden raised beds (constructed with apropriately treated timber) right above the sleepers and as now filed with soil etc I cannot move them.

Anyway I understand from what all have said that it would be foolhardy to use these for vegetables now, unless as suggested I get the lot tested somehow to be sure, so it looks like I will have a large plant bed instead.

Many thanks again.