Old 28-02-2009, 10:15 PM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] Persephone@NoSpam.com is offline

Default scent

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 07:20:27 -0600, Jangchub
wrote:

Adding to my own post, jasmine and gardenia, jasmine being one of the
most expensive essential oils in perfumes.

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 20:41:28 -0600, Jangchub
wrote:

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009 15:35:31 -0800, "David E. Ross"
wrote:

Unfortunately, most developers of new rose varieties seem to put scent
at the bottom of their priority lists. Higher in priority are color and
form of the flower, resistance of the plant to disease, and adaptability
to as large a variety of climates as possible.

When roses were developed regionally for a local climate, scent had a
much higher priority. Now some of the most fragrant roses from 30 years
ago are no longer available commercially. These include climbing
'Chrysler Imperial' (which, however, might still be available as a
bush). Last year, I searched and searched for this one. I couldn't
even find anyone who had one growing in their garden who might be
willing to send me a cutting for me to root.

I'm still a stubborn holdout for scent, though I agree it's hard to
find. Mr. Lincoln has a nice scent and a wonderful color, but the
blooms are very short-lived

Another peeve is the fact that most nurseries no longer sell roses
bare-root. If you plant them correctly, bare-root roses adapt more
readily to the soil in your garden than do roses that have been allowed
to root in a container. The worst part of this is that the growers ship
their product bare-root; it's the nurseries that pot them up.

Sad but true. Not even the big peat-potted "bare-roots" are worth
buying, but sometimes that's the only thing on offer. Our nursery
used to bury the bare-roots in a huge bin of the wood shavings,
which made it easy to pull out the plant, but they no longer do that.

However. I have never had trouble transplanting, even if I had to
shake off most of the [whatever] that they put in the peat pot.
Main thing is to dig deep and wide enough, and to mound up he
soil in the middle of the hole. Around this little hill, you drape
the spread-out roots of the rose. Water amply but don't drown
the newcomer. And WAIT! Patience is the name of the game.

Lightly filter extreme blasting sunlight at first until plant is
established.

Fortunately, many of the new roses are actually the roses of old and
scent is desired as much as flower form. All or most antiques are
extremely hardy, grown on their own rootstock and have beautiful
scent. Many of the miniatures being developed are putting the scent
back in.

Roses have very poor root systems, much like their cousin the
blueberry and can benefit greatly with some mychorrizae fungi when
planting them. Of course, anyone who uses weed and feed is wasting
money because they kill the fungi, sadly.

What about worm castings? I usually mix in some when transplanting.

Persephone.
[..]