Old 12-04-2003, 03:32 AM
Pam

Default Grubs

Oh great!! Then I suppose they assume you are going to eat them??

SugarChile wrote:

I was at a local garden center today, and they had a display advising you to
incorporate diazinon in your onion set plantings, to control onion maggots.
Shudder Perhaps they were trying to clear inventory before the complete
ban goes into effect.

Sue

Zone 6, Southcentral PA

"Pam" wrote in message
Diazinon is now a restricted pesticide because of its high potential for

human
toxicity, not to mention other environmental concerns. As of 2002, it can

no longer
be marketed to retailers for residential use, although some product may

still remain
on store shelves, but by August of this year even those must be removed

and
destroyed. I certainly would not recommend anyone consider using this

product, even
if you can find it on store shelves. Grub control can easily be

accomplished by
other, less toxic means such as better cultural care and benenficial

nematodes.

pam - gardengal

"John S. DeBoo" wrote:

Yes, Diazinon can be purchased at probably any place that carries bug

killers
etc, certainly at Home Depot etc. For lawn control you'll mix several
tablespoons (read directions carefully) with water in a garden hose

sprayer, then
spray that diluted mixture (which gets diluted even more since its now

mixing
with the water in the hose) all over the lawn and water profusely.

Diazinon is
strong stuff and depending upon the mixture (dilution) used can be used

for all
manner of bug control. I hate using chemicles myself but sometimes they

really
do the trick.

Heather wrote:

Never heard of this stuff before....Is this something that you can get

at
the store? like Home Depot, Canadian Tire, or local Garden Center or
something like that? Does it harm the flowers in a flower bed? My

grass
buts up against some fairly new planting beds in the front and

backyards and
would hate to kill off all the planting I did last year.

Thanks for your advice
Heather
Zone 6 - Toronto, Canada

"John S. DeBoo" wrote in message
Heather wrote:

I noticed grubs in our lawn and garden last year. What is the

best way
get rid of these without hiring the professionals. I live in

Toronto
Canada
and we are covered by snow right now but want to get a start to

solving
the
problem once it's gone if possible.

WE had them in our lawn in Albuquerque and I used Diazinon. After
dilutinbg with
water and spreading with a hose sprayer you need to water profusely

so it
soaks
down intot he soil where these miserable critters live. I've yet to

find
a grub
in our lawn since and we treated ours maybe 10 years ago. Thats my
experience
anyway.

--
John S. DeBoo