Old 01-03-2009, 08:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
gray gray is offline

Default Removing large tree

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 21:56:34 +0000, Chris ] wrote:

Please advise on how best to remove a large wild cherry tree.
The trunk is about two foot diameter.
Could I do it myself?
How much would a contractor charge?
Would he need to be insured?
(If so, Why? I don't understand this insurance business!)
How could the stump be got rid of?

You not mention how tall these are, or age. But with a cherry at 2 ft
dia trunk, I would say that they must be 50 years, and thus typically
at the end of there life.

What is there location/accessability within your garden re boundaries,
sheds, greenhouse etc etc. Can machinery be bought in close or how far
is it to hardstanding.

If he is in partnership, he must legally have liability insurance
(sole traders do not). He can have but does not legally need
accidental insurance, if he takes on all the resonsibilities of his
actions, ie replacing a greenhouse that now has a treee growing out of
it.

Most tree men will only cut down to ground level, or approx 10 inches.
This being due to that if the chainsaw hits one stone in the dirt, you
will have a knackeered chain. Some might cut lower he uses his oldest
and mankiest chainsaw.

Then if you want the stump out, it would need to ground out with a
stump grinder.

For stump grinding and othe treee photos check out
http://www.gb-online.co.uk/services/services.htm