Old 01-03-2009, 11:59 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default Advice for a newbie

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
OwenD wrote:

To be honest I am not mad keen on the idea of laying horse poo in the
garden and think the missus might not approve either!

It really isn't a health problem unless you use your own - not
recommended. Sure it smells a bit but that's life. Horse manure is
relatively inoffensive when fresh and will soon be quite harmless and
odour free when exposed to the air and sun. However, check the provenance
of your horse manure. If the horses have been on grain feed or some types
of hay and it hasn't been sterilized by heat or composting, there may be
lots of viable grain mixed in whcih will promptly give you a weed problem.

I agree with everything that David says about horse manure (lovely stuff),
however there is one additional thing to be concerned about in the case of
the UK and that is the possibility that the manure may have been
contaminated with herbicide (specifically Aminopyralid)

Manure from herbivores has been making gardens grow for millenia you are
not going somewhere new.