Old 01-03-2009, 11:34 PM posted to rec.gardens
David E. Ross David E. Ross is offline

Default scent

On 3/1/2009 10:20 AM, wrote [in part]:

Mea culpa! I am very lax -- and somewhat ignorant -- about
fertilizing. Ex: I pruned a few weeks ago, and simply don't
know or remember when/if to fertilize. Help? Remember
this is So Calif coastal.

Feed your roses now. Except for the most frost-tender plants, feed your
whole garden now. Frost-tender plants can be fed in about two weeks.

The National Weather Service treats my area as a coastal valley with
Thousand Oaks (California zone 45). Actually, we are more in the Santa
Monica Mountains (California zone 46). Both areas are known to get
frost through the end of March. Thus, I won't be feeding most of my
garden for another week. (Tender growth won't start until about two
weeks after feeding.) I have already fed my roses TWICE! I also fed
the pink clover (Persicaria capitata) and cinquefoil (Potentilla
neumanniana) that make up my front lawn and parkway, respectively, once.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean