Old 02-03-2009, 02:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Ted Byers Ted Byers is offline

Default Another question about Cymbidiums

Well, I guess it had to come at some point, but it has started. The
flowers on my new Cymbidiums are starting to fade. I lost a couple of
them (flowers that is) within days of bringing them home, but that was
due to damage from cold (outside temperatures were about -15 degrees
Celcius - I guess my efforts to protect them from the cold weren't as
effective as I'd hoped). But now, about a quarter of them have
started to droop and close up on themselves. There remain quite a few
that still look great, but there is no longer any scent.

My question is this: should I cut off the inflorescence once the
flowers are all faded, or can it rebloom from them the next time it
comes into bloom? I know some phalaenopsis will rebloom from an
inflorescence and that one should therefore not cut them off unless
the plant tells you to by having the old inflorescence die back.

Thanks

Ted