Old 02-03-2009, 04:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Dan L. Dan L. is offline

Default Can anyone help please?

In article ,
Jolyn wrote:

I have recently spent a great deal of money setting up raised beds to
allow me to begin growing my own vegetables, something I have always
wanted to do but never had the chance. However, having got everything
ready including seeds etc I have been told that I cannot use the beds
because there are old Railway sleepers below them, which have very
likely seeped oil and other nasties into the ground.

Obviously I don't want to end up growing veg that will make us sick, so
I need to know if this really does mean that these beds are only good
for flowers etc or whether I have any chance of growing veg safely
there?

(I bought the house with the sleepers in place so they have been there
for anything from 5 to 10 years.)

I thought best to post from original. Flame war starting up.

One can build above ground garden containers with solid bottoms to grow
most vegetable plants safely. Build the containers table high with
drainage holes and screens that allow water to leave and hold in the
soil. The boxes could be on legs. Create your own safe organic soil
mixtures. I have seen four foot high garden beds made with bricks from
the ground up that also looks great. Raised garden beds made with large
rocks can also look great and be functional.

You will have to search yourself for plans to make such things. The
table types will need to be strong and durable with food safe materials
(if such materials exist). Also rock walls that hold up even in the
winter. Just hope you have lots of moneys, such things are not cheap.

Do not not let the flame war keep you down! Above is just another idea.
Just keep on dreaming and hope it all works out.

Enjoy Life ... Dan

--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.