Old 02-03-2009, 11:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Advice for a newbie

OwenD wrote:
Thanks very much for your opinions.

The compost I have been using is all from garden centres in bags..I
don't know it's source. Presumably if using this I don't also need
manure?

It's not an either-or. Whether you need manures also depends on the quality
of the compost and how it is made. The purpose of compost and manure is to
supply organic matter (which improves texture and water properties as well
as supporting microflora) and nutrients, the proportion of the two depends
on the origin. Bagged commercial compost and manure ought to be free of
viable seeds but is the most expensive way to buy it. If possible find a
cheap source that is available in bulk locally and then add whatever is
missing. If you are going to stick with gardening you will need a constant
source of compost/manure as both the organic matter and nutrients get used
up.

Re. the leeks, I have been told that they should be pulled up very
soon as they will start to flower? Is this correct? They seem a
little thin currently..

Flowering will mean the end of eating them but so will pulling them up
unless you can store them or eat them all now. If you leave some they will
flower and produce seed but also produce sets which you can leave to grow in
situ or plant out elsewhere. This way you are not buying more all the time.

David