Old 02-03-2009, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
gray gray is offline

Default Removing large tree

I havent seen any body do that for years now. Probably most gardens do
not have any rear access or anything substantial to anchor to.

Also probably because its to time consuming to dig and cut the roots,
and then try and pull.

I had a long hedge of 20 year old beechs ( 6 inch dia ) to remove to
below ground level. I tried block and tackle cause I thought it would
be easy, mind you I did not cut the roots. I ended up pullling the van
instead.

Ended up chainsawing to ground level. It then only took 2 hrs to stump
grind the 50 stumps down.

There is even a gizmo being sold and can be hired, that basically
lifts the tree out. Chainsaw 2 notches into the tree stump, attach a
chain round the stump and then to a block and tackle mounted on a
tripod. And it works, a bit slow thou, pulls an all.

Any tree feller worth his/her? salt would take off the top, leaving
enough trunk standing to pull the thing out, dig round the stump and cut
as many roots as possible, then attach vehicle, block and tackle,
differential pulley etc., and drag it out.