Old 03-03-2009, 02:50 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Bill[_13_] Bill[_13_] is offline

Default Manure as fertilizer ...................

In article ,
"Dan Listermann" wrote:

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
SteveB wrote:
I live in the middle of pasture land. Lots of free cow patties. My
wife seems to think that this would make good fertilizer, or at least
good mulch if tilled in.

Other than using fresh dung for the production of food, are there any
downsides to using manure? I believe I once read that stall manure
had high levels of urea, and would not be good to put on plants. This is
pasture manure, so it would not have as high urine level as
stall manure.

A furphy, urea is good fertiliser.

Yeah, I know I can go buy fertilizer, too. But I can also take the
money I save and go fishing a few times.

Why not use it if its free and save the petrochemicals that typically go
into synthetic fertiliser.

Tips and caveats on manure use? Good/bad for flowers or areas where
I am going to put lawn?

Thanks.

Steve

Cow pats are good for gardens. Cow and horse manure both provide
beneficial organic matter and nutrients. There is little in the way of
harmful pathogens in them and once dried out or composted briefly they are
fairly inoffensive. I would say go for it, there is much to gain and
little to lose.

David

What about pigeon poop?

Look at chicken info here Iąd hazard a guess it is hot aka rich in N2
which can burn plants. That is why aged and composting is the way to
go. 1-1-1 or close to it.

http://the-compost-gardening-guy.com/article-on-manures.html

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distrib...onents/7401_02
..html