Old 03-03-2009, 07:04 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Fleemo Fleemo is offline

Default Sharpening Mulching Blade

On Mar 3, 7:21*am, "Dioclese" NONE wrote:
"Fleemo" wrote in message

I'd like to keep my mulching mower blade sharp over the mowing season,
though as I understand it, the extra ridges make it more difficult to
sharpen. (Last season I took one to a mower shop and it came back
duller than it went in.) Would one of those hand-held sharpeners like
the one pictured at the link below be effective on a mulching blade?
http://tinyurl.com/aku75q

For an electric mower with less power, you're more likely to notice a
dulling blade than the gas powered mower while operating. *The weblink is

Thanks for the replies.

Just get yourself a bench grinder or a friend with a bench grinder. 3/4hp or more works just great.

I found one on Craig's list for $20, but it's only 1/3hp. Is that
likely to be a hunk o' junk?

For about $45 you can get a hand held grinder, which is what I use and it also comes in handy for other uses.

Is that the same as an angle grinder, like the one shown he
http://tinyurl.com/ac4olr

For an electric mower with less power, you're more likely to notice a dulling blade than the gas powered mower while operating.

Yes indeed, my mower is electric, which I absolutely love for my small
suburban lawn. No dealing with gas, oil or tuneups!

-F